Thursday 21 April 2011

Presentation

We were asked to put a presentation together for our key concept using powerpoint which had to include key ideas about how the school should be represented and how i approached the project. I also had to include references and inspiration, early idea generation and clear and detailed concept drawings including reference to materials and possible processes.

Unfortunately, our client, Kim Lodge the lead architect, was unable to attend the lesson, therefore I was unable to perform my presentation. I have put the slides from my powerpoint on my blog and written next to each slide exactly what I would have said in my presentation.




First, I started thinking about how I wanted the school to be presented and how I could include this in my designs. I wanted the school to be presented as fun and exciting through the use of images - preferably large scale. I wanted to include clear and simple wayfinding for easy navigation for students and for members of the public visiting the school. From the results of my questionnaire, I found most people wanted there to be a graphic and fine art feel in the new building.




I started thinking about how I could use interesting images for wayfinding instead of the usual arrows and words. I thought maybe having an image of a dancer on the wall holding a piece of ribbon which would leads you from the dance department to the reception would be quite a unique and original idea though in the end I didnt feel it was as weird or peculiar as I wanted my designs to be. I liked the thought of an image leading a person from one location to another location so I definitely wanted to include this.



I began looking at artists such as Yuri Shimojo for inspriation. I found her images really interesting to look at as they are weird and different which are exactly the charateristics I wanted to include in my designs.


Lucy Mclauchan, another artist I looked at for inspiration. I love how she uses many different images to creates one final image. I considered this when creating my wayfinding designs.


After looking at the previous artists, I produced this design using a computer. The design is unique and different but also weird and grotesque which would be interesting for Brit school students and memebers of the public to look at. It also provides clear and easy wayfinding as the spiders act as a trail students should to follow e.g. the image of the face would be in the canteen with spiders from the reception area leading towards the canteen revealing the main image of the womans face. In the reception, there would be some sort of sign post or key showing students which symbol or image they should follow, e.g. canteen [image of spider]. This design is ideal as it has a feel of both graphics and fine art, it is fun and exciting and allows easy navigation from the clear wayfinding. Paint is a possible material that could be used to apply my design on the wall.



I have put my design on an architectural rendering to illustrate how it might look like in the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment